Ok, so I’m cheating a little and jumping back into 30 Days of Truth having skipped both of the forgiveness posts. Forgive me? (See what I did there?)
Here’s Day 5 – Something You Hope To Do In Your Life
Before I got all super preggo and then turned into nutso mommy I was planning on moving there for three months or so. I was going to rent an apartment and spend some real time there.
Although it will be more difficult now I still hope to do it. Only, now I want to do it with my family. Really stop and think about this: How hard would it really be to just check out of your life for a couple of months? How much would you regret not doing it? For me the answers are not that hard and SO MUCH!
The most complicated part would be Dork Dad getting a leave of absence approved. After that it’s not really that hard.
- Contact a real estate agent there and arrange to rent a furnished house or apartment. We plan this for the “off” season so it’s not crazy expensive.
- Check with our doctors to make sure we have any shots they think we should have.
- Get visitor visas.
- Start a language course so we aren’t totally adrift.
- Plan other trips to take while we’re there.
- Study maps of where we will be staying and find the grocery store, laundromat, etc.
- Have utilities at the house turned off.
- Have mail and newspaper service suspended.
- Give mom a key so she can check on the house for us.
- Book our flights!
- HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME.
We’ll also have to explain to two sets of grandparents that they will not see their darling boy for three months. If we can live through that I think we can handle anything!
What I don’t want to do – what I know that I would regret – is to make things more complicated than they have to be and so get stuck in place. In the list of things above none of them is impossible. We can start saving money now and start learning Italian. We can start looking for apartments and checking out neighborhoods. Dork Dad could begin a series of discussions with his boss about how to make this work. Most of my work is online so as long as I have an internet connection I’m good to go.
What do I hope to do in my life? Eat gelato in the sunshine with my little boy as we watch the boats head out to sea and run through the Piazza San Marco scattering pigeons everywhere and make pasta by hand to feed to my family and sit in a sidewalk cafe drinking the best espresso while I watch my men walk toward me with big smiles on their faces.
I wouldn’t mind a visit to Ferragamo either…
Join The Mom Squad
Start each week with an email reminder that you are worthy and deserving of care. Get practical tips to make self-care a part of your life.